Gas Cylinder Bursts Woman Dead, Three Others Injured

Bhubaneswar; Dec.30: One woman was died and three others of a family were injured after a gas cylinder burst while cooking at OUAT government quarters here around noon today.

Chandramani Nayak, an employee in the State run Agriculture varsity, was injured while his wife died on the spot. Nayak's son-in-law and a neighbour sustained critical burn injuries and were admitted to a private hospital.

The nine-year old daughter of Nayak, who escaped the accident narrowly, said ran out after seeing fire in the kitchen.

Fire officials entered the room only to find the body of woman lying in a semi-burnt condition. They rescued Chandramani and his son-in-law, who sustained severe burns in leg. Nayak's mother escaped as she was in another room during the mishap, the fire officials said.

The fire, probably caught by a gas leak in the cylinder, was so sudden and virulent that no one was able to escape from the house, according to reports.

BJP to corner Govt on several issues in Assembly

Bhubaneswar: Drinking water crisis, farmers' problems and corruption at the grass roots level are also some of the issues the opposition BJP is lining...

Naveen announces Rs 100 crore for Odisha Millets Mission

Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today announced that Rs 100 crore will be spent next year to expand the state's millets mission for the ben...

Odisha proposes to establish 19 new hospitals in 18 backward districts

Bhubaneswar: The State Government has proposed to set up 19 new hospitals on Public Private Partnership (PPP) basis in 18 backward districts of the st...

Odisha Assembly Budget Session from tomorrow, security tightened

Bhubaneswar: Security has been tightened and patrolling intensified in the city for the Budget Session of the Assembly beginning from Tuesday.As many ...