Pathankot/Punjab; Jan.5: Guns fell silent Tuesday morning at the air base even as the operation against militants entered its fourth day with security personnel engaged in search and combing operations to sanitise the installation.
Defence sources said that the firing at the air force base in Punjab ceased this morning after the attack that began in the wee hours on Saturday.
However, search and combing operations are on to ensure that the defence installation is properly secured and sanitised, they added.
Security forces had yesterday killed two more militants inside the Pathankot air base with the government saying that six attackers had thus been neutralised. However, it was not clear whether all the intruders who attacked the base have been eliminated.
Following a meeting of the National Security Council chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said that the bodies of four militants have been recovered and those of the remaining two would be found.
The number of intruders had been put at six by officials and the figures given by Jaitley implied that all of them have been eliminated. However, none in the government was prepared to say yesterday that no more terrorists were inside the base or that the operation was over.
Combing and search operations will continue till "we are able to fully render the base safe", NSG IG Maj Gen Dushant Singh had said.