Berhampur: 2 persons died and three others became critical after consuming spurious liquor in a Karadamuli village under Patrapur block in Ganjam district last night.
According to reports, the five persons became ill soon after they ate chicken curry and rice along with liquor in the dinner yesterday. Two of them died while undergoing treatment at the Patrapur hospital. They were identified as Shiba Behera and Dhanu Behera.
Of the three critical, one is still undergoing treatment at the Patrapur hospital and the rest two have been shifted to the MKCG Medical College and Hospital in Brahmapur.
Doctors said the reason behind deaths would be known only after post-mortem is conducted on the bodies. The deaths may either due to food poisoning or due to consumption of spurious liquor. Either reasons can be ruled out, said doctors.