National

No Haj subsidy from this year: Naqvi

New Delhi: There will be no subsidy for Haj from this year, minority affairs minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said today.

Naqvi told reporters that despite the subsidy withdrawal, a record number of 1.75 lakh Muslims will undertake the pilgrimage this year from India.

Naqvi also said that the Saudi Arabian government has in principle agreed to allow Haj journey from India by ships and officials of the two countries will sit together to finalise the modalities.

"This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement," Naqvi told reporters and cited a host of measures for the welfare of minorities.

Earlier this year, Naqvi had said that the Centre would abolish the subsidy for Haj pilgrims in accordance with a Supreme Court order.

"A constitutional bench of the Supreme Court had, during the Congress regime in 2012, directed that the Haj subsidy be done away with. Hence, in the new policy, as per the recommendations of a committee, we have decided to do away with the Haj subsidy gradually," he had said. -PTI

HD Kumaraswamy takes oath as Karnataka CM

Bangalore: H.D. Kumaraswamy of Janata Dal (Secular) was sworn-in as the 24th chief minister of Karnataka on Wednesday, marking the beginning of the JD...

UP Govt introduces NCERT textbooks in Madrasas

Uttar Pradesh : The Uttar Pradesh cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Tuesday approved the introduction of National Council of Educat...

Minorities safe in India: Rajnath on Archbishop letter

New Delhi : Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said that India is one of those countries where minorities are safe and no one is allowed to discri...

Rahul remembers Rajiv Gandhi on his death anniversary

New Delhi: Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Monday remembered his father and former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi on his 27th death anniversary.Taking...