State

Fire in Sameleswari Express; passengers safe

Sambalpur: Passengers had a close shave even as a fire erupted in an AC coach of the Samaleswari Express train at Jharsuguda early this morning.

According to reports, an electrical short circuit caused of the fire in the train that was on its way from Howrah to Sambalpur. The AC Coach-II was filled with smokes. 

However, the intensity of the fire was very low. While the fire extinguishers installed in the coach were not working, such equipments were brought from the nearby coaches and the fire was extinguished.

Passengers resented that fire safety personnel didn't reach the bogey on time and the train was allowed to run from Jharsuguda to Sambalpur without a proper check.







Elephant herd wreaks havoc in Khurda village

Khurda: Panic gripped the locals of Goda village under Begunia block in Khurda district after an elephant herd wreaked havoc in the village today.Acco...

Gunupur MLA Trinath Gomango quits Odisha's ruling BJD

Rayagada: Gunupur MLA Trinath Gomango resigned from the primary membership of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) today citing 'neglect' by party functionaries....

Brown sugar seized in Bhubaneswar, 2 peddlers held

Bhubaneswar: Commissionerate Police has seized a total of 28.70 grams of brown sugar from two peddlers during a raid near Sikharchandi area in Bhubane...

3 Killed, 1 Injured As Car Dashes Into Truck In Sundergarh

Sundergarh: Three persons including two women were killed and another sustained critical injuries after the car in which they were travelling dashed i...