Hosni Mubarak acquitted in 2011 Killings

News

Cairo, Nov 29: In a huge disappointment to the millions of Egyptians, a court has dropped the case against the ousted president Mubarak of conspiring to kill protesters during the 2011 uprising.

The former president was also cleared of a corruption charge involving gas exports to Israel, BBC reported.

His supporters erupted in cheers when the Egyptian court dismissed the murder charges against him. Mubarak, 86, is serving a separate three-year sentence for embezzlement of public funds.

Along with him, his former Interior Minister, Habib al-Adly, and six other security officials accused of wrongdoing over the deaths in 2011 were also acquitted.

Mubarak and his former interior minister were convicted of conspiracy to kill and sentenced to life in prison in June 2012 but a retrial was ordered last year.

According to BBC, the Relatives of those killed in 2011 had awaited the verdict on Saturday. However, all were disappointed. Mahmoud Ibrahim Ali, whose wife was killed, had little faith in the judiciary, believing it simply did the government's bidding.

"The regime is the same," he told AP news agency. "Names have changed but everything is the same."

Amal Shaker, mother of 25-year-old Ahmed who was fatally shot in the back during the 2011 uprising, said before the announcement that she was still waiting for justice.

"Youth that were like flowers were killed," she told AP news agency. "Four years have passed, where is the trial?"

Islamist Mohammed Morsi, the elected successor of Mubarak as president, lasted only a year in power before being ousted by the military in July 2013 during mass anti-government protests.

More Articles