Rajnath Singh Condemns Delhi Cab Rape Case, says Strict Action to be Taken

News

New Delhi, Dec 08: Home Minister Rajnath Singh condemned the Delhi cab rape case describing the incident as "extremely unfortunate and shameful". He said that strong action would be taken against the accused and assured that the government is taking all the necessary measures for the safety of women in the national capital.

The cab driver, accused of raping a 25-year-old working woman in Delhi on Friday night, will be produced before the court on Monday. The accused Shiv Kumar Yadav was arrested on Sunday from a hideout in Mathura town of Uttar Pradesh.

According to Delhi police, the accused is a repeat offender, had earlier spent seven months in Tihar Jail in 2011 in a sexual assault case. Yadav, 32, a resident of Mathura, was caught in a joint operation by Delhi and Uttar Pradesh Police force.

He works as a driver with international cab-booking company Uber. He is accused of raping a working woman who was returning her home in Inderlok area in North Delhi from Gurgaon in the cab. The victim, is an employee of a finance company in Gurgaon Sector 21.

The incident had sparked protests in the national capital a year after Nirvaya case.

The AAP owrkers protested outside the residence of Home Minister raising slogans against the government and Delhi police for not taking proper actions against the cab company. The National Students Union of India (NSUI), a student wing of Congress also protested outside the residence of Singh.

Reacting to the protests, Singh said that strict action would be taken but perception needs to be changed in the society.

More Articles