Assam Attack: Death Toll rises to 64, Ex-gratia Announced

News

Guwahati, Dec 24: The death toll in Assam rose to 64 in the latest attacks carried by the suspected Bodo militants who rocked the two districts yesterday night killing 55 civilians mostly tribals including women and children. The state government has announced Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia for next of kin those who died in the attack.

A curfew has been imposed and shoot at sight orders were issued in Dhekiajuli in Sonitpur district where the militants killed dozens last night. Police said that the National Democratic Front of Bodoland was behind the series of attacks in Sonitpur and Kokrajhar districts.

However, unconfirmed reports say more than 75 people had died so far. More than 80 people were injured and 250 are missing. Of the dead, at least 18 were children and 23 women. The death toll is likely to go up with more bodies being recovered.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh condemned the attacks at a press conference said that Centre has deployed 50 Central Armed Forces for the affected areas. He is scheduled to arrive at Assam on Wednesday around 4pm.

President Pranab Mukherjee strongly condemned the killings in Assam and took to the twitter, saying, "such acts of terror and violence must be put down with a firm hand".

Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his reaction tweeted, "Killing of innocent people in Sonitpur & Kokrajhar is an act of cowardice. Our thoughts & prayers are with the families of the deceased".

"I spoke to Assam CM Shri Tarun Gogoi & Home Minister Rajnath ji. Rajnath ji will travel to Assam and take stock of the situation", he added.


More Articles