2G Case: SC quashes Summon Orders to Bharti Mittal, Two Others

News

New Delhi, Jan 09: In a relief to Airtel CMD Sunil Bharti Mittal, Essar Group promoter Ravi Ruia and former Vodafone MD Aseem Ghosh, the Supreme Court on Friday morning quashed the summon orders passed by the trial court to them in the 2G spectrum allocation scam.

The apex court observed that the trial court had wrongly applied the legal principle while summoning Mittal and Ruia as accused in the 2G case. However, the court gave the trial judge a liberty to summon them at any stage if material on record is found. 

The bench comprising chief justice HL Dattu and Justices Madan B Lokur and AK Sikri said, "We are giving liberty to the special judge that if at any stage any material is found, he has every right to summon them as accused".

It should be noted that the names of Mittal and Ruia were not mentioned in CBI chargesheet as accused. But they were summoned on March 19, 2013 by the special CBI court saying there was enough material to proceed against them in the case.

The apex court on December 4 last year had reserved the verdict after hearing counsel for corporate honchos and the CBI.

Earlier, during the argument, Mittal's counsel had told the apex court that the trial court had wrongly summoned his client despite the fact that CBI had not chargesheeted him in the case. He told the bench that there was nothing wrong or unusual that Mittal had meetings with the then Telecom minister Pramod Mahajan and then telecom secretary Shyamal Ghosh.

More Articles