Puri, Feb 13: The Daitapati Nijog of Lord Jagannath temple in Puri has rejected the amount of Rs 40 lakh as compensation offered by the Odisha government for their loss during Rath Yatra last year citing that the amount is a drop in the ocean.
Rejecting the amount, the Daitas said that they called for a meeting at the Radha Ballav Mutt premises on February 14 to decide on its future course of action.
However, they made it clear that they will cooperate fully during the Nabakalebar festival of the Lords without taking money from the government and the temple administration.
The servitors reportedly faced huge loss after the government issued an order barring the devotees from climbing atop chariots during the Rath Yatra following the High Court order. The court had upheld the opinion of Gobardhana Pitha Shankaracharya Swami Nischalananda Saraswati, who said that people those are not part of the rituals of Rath Yatra, should not be allowed to climb the chariots and touching the Lords on chariots is a "Big sin".
When the daitas objected the decision, the court had asked the government to pay the compensation to that Nijog for their losses due to the order and restriction.