Migrant boat capsizes in Mediterranean Sea, 25 dead

News

Rome,August 6: A migrant boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea on Wednesday.A boat packed with up to 700 migrants capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Libya and many are feared dead, officials said.

Officials said, it was still not clear how many people were on board. The Italian Coast Guard and the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said about 400 people had been rescued and 25 bodies had been recovered so far.

The operation, which included vessels from the Italian and Irish navies and the humanitarian group Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF) was continuing.

"The team on the Dignity 1 can confirm that there have tragically been many deaths but does not have figures at this stage," one of its tweets said.

Irish Defence Minister Simon Coveney said "loss of life is likely to be significant".

UNHCR spokesman Federico Fossi said as many as 100 people may have been in the hull when the boat capsized as rescue ships approached it.

In April, a fishing boat with up to 800 migrants sank, making it the deadliest shipwreck in the Mediterranean for decades and a symbol of Europe's long-running migrant crisis.


More Articles